I have a question about transforming competing hierarchies.

I have a runic metrical text found on a stone monument which amongst
other interesting things is broken up into very small physical lines of
often only two or three characters. In addition, the text is laid out in
three discrete physical sections that ignore metrical or grammatical
boundaries (there is a short broad section across the top, a long thin
portion top-to-bottom down the right hand side, and then a long thin
portion top to bottom down the left hand side).

My transcription is metrico-diplomatic in the way only TEI allows: I'm
using tei:l as my basic chunk level element, using milestones to record
the beginning of each physical section, and using tei:lb to indicate
location of line breaks. I've also arranged the text so that it makes
grammatical sense: top, then down the right column, then back up and
down the left column:

<l n="1">
  <milestone n="W1" unit="location" xml:id="west.top"/>
  Fee fi fo <lb/><milestone n="WS1" unit="location"
xml:id="west.south.1"/>fum <lb/>
<l>
<l n="2">
</l>
<l n="3">
</l>
<l>... <lb/><milestone n="WN1" unit="location"
xml:id="west.north.1"/>...
etc.

Now I want to produce two views of this: metrical without the diplomatic
information, and diplomatic without the metrical information. I.e. I'd
like to produce output as if I had two TEI texts:

<l n="1">
  Fee fi fo fum
<l>
<l n="2">
  I smell the blood
</l>
<l n="3">
 Of an Englishman
</l>
etc.

And

  <ab>Fee fi fo</ab>
  <ab>fum</ab>
  <ab>I</ab>
  <ab>sm</ab>
  <ab>e</ab>
  <ab>ll</ab>
  <ab>th</ab>
  <ab>e b</ab>
  <ab>loo</ab>
  <ab>d</ab>
  <ab>Of</ab>
  <ab>a</ab>
  <ab>n E</ab>
  <ab>ngl</ab>
  <ab>ish</ab>
  <ab>m</ab>
  <ab>an</ab>

The divs are the hard bit, since tei:lb can always be transformed to the
equivalent html:br. But if I want to reproduce the physical layout of
the sections (as opposed to their metrical order), I'm going to have to
identify the top, south, and north columns as separate divisions, as far
as I can tell.

Is there a way of doing this without escape-disable in XSL (or whatever
it is called)? Is there a different way of encoding the original text to
preserve information about the multiple hierarchies?

-d
--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor and Acting Chair