Sharon,

Comments below.

On Mar 14, 2006, at 1:05 PM, Sharon Goetz wrote:

<snip! material omitted>

> Now the question. When the enclosure is a complete letter that Clemens
> wrote himself, which he has sent to the main letter's recipient in
> order
> that the recipient may forward it to someone else, we have two or more
> ?independent letters sent under one cover--or we have one: the
> intended
> forwarding may or may not have occurred. That is, either we have 2+
> record
> numbers or we collapse things to a single record number. Since we'd
> like
> to treat these sets consistently, for document handling purposes
> would it
> be better to prioritize the seeming intent (multiple record #s) or the
> initial packaging (single record #)?

My inclination would be to use two record numbers.  As you recognize,
you have two separate texts which have important circumstances in
common but are nonetheless two different documents.

The DALF Guidelines from the Center Scholarly Editing and Document
Studies <http://www.kantl.be/ctb/project/dalf/dalfdoc/index.html>
have an element <accMat>  intended to describe "accompanying
material" defined as "any significant additional material which may
be closely associated with the letter."  The examples make it clear
that an enclosure fits this definition.  This allows the recording of
the relationship between the letters in a fairly simple way, and
works even if you don't have a copy of the enclosure.

As an aside, I am a little puzzled by your use of typed <div>
elements to record enclosures other than letters.  If you need to
keep them under the same <teiHeader>, you might use separate <text>
elements to encode them.

Hope this helps,

Nick Finke

Nicholas D. Finke