Hi all,
catching up with the thread about <seg type="character"> != <c> I went
and had a look at chapter 29 ("Modifying and Customizing the TEI DTD")
of TEI P5 and noticed it hasn't been fully revised yet. A little
suggestion about the chapter, rigth at the beginning it reads

"There are several kinds of modification that can be made to the TEI DTD
as follows:

    1. deletion of elements;
    2. renaming of elements;
    3. extension of classes;
    4. modification of content models or attribute lists."

What's conspicuosly missing is the *addition* of elements, which is IMHO
one of the most common types of modification one might want to perform
(see the above thread and similar ones). I hope the revised version will
consider this topic in detail, too.

I also noticed that there are other two other places where the TEI
customization issue is dealt with, i.e. "Getting started with P5 ODDs"
(http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/edw88.xml) and the "Documentation Elements"
chapter (http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/html/TD.html);
OTOH, the currently available customization software (Roma) is only
mentioned in the former and not in the proper Guidelines. I feel a bit
confused by this distribution of information, I hope the P5 goal of
"user extensions simplified" will be reached. Of course it could just be
that you (=TEI editors) are going to put it all in place with the next
release of P5, so feel free to correct me.

Ciao

Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dipartimento di Scienze         rosselli at ling.unipi.it
del Linguaggio                  Then spoke the thunder  DA
Universita' di Torino           Datta: what have we given?  (TSE)

    Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
    mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)