Hi,

Fiona Oliver wrote:
> However, we need an entirely new set of topics and associations that
> are not descriptive, but interpretive, which we can apply to language
> objects as well as actual things. For example, a few words or lines
> of text may exemplify the author's treatment of a particular concept,
> or show the influence of one or more other authors, works, moods,
> ideas etc.

Probably nothing that you could actually use, but it may be close to
what you're doing: I have been working on an index of metaphors which
uses an ontology in OWL for its backbone. It is available at
http://emblems.let.uu.nl/emblems/lab/dse/metaphor/. This is work in
progress!

Possibly of interest: Amélie Zöllner-Weber recently wrote an interesting
article about an ontology for the description of characters in literary
works, again in OWL: 'Formale Repräsentation und Beschreibung von
literarischen Figuren' (Jahrbuch für Computerphilologie - online, at
http://computerphilologie.uni-muenchen.de/jg05/zoellner-weber.html)

Good luck,
Peter Boot