Hi,

I’m involved with creating an ontology to link works of literature and literary criticism in a topic map. The content that we are linking is currently on a larger site (all marked up in TEI), which already uses a topic map to store and map relationships between the texts it has digitised. The current topic map links simple concepts such as works, divisions of a work, authorship, publication, dates, and names of people, places and institutions, using an ontology derived in part from the CIDOC CRM (http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/). However, we need an entirely new set of topics and associations that are not descriptive, but interpretive, which we can apply to language objects as well as actual things. For example, a few words or lines of text may exemplify the author's treatment of a particular concept, or show the influence of one or more other authors, works, moods, ideas etc.

My question is, before we press on and risk re-inventing the wheel (even a small, squeaky one), does anyone know if there is already a formalised set of entities (topics) and relationships (associations) that could be usefully used in a topic map?

Many thanks,

Fiona

Fiona Oliver

Production Editor

Te Ara - Encyclopedia of New Zealand

Ministry for Culture and Heritage

PO Box 5364

Wellington

Dir: (04) 474 3302

Fax: (04) 495 2566

Email: [log in to unmask]

The information contained in this email message is intended only for the addressee and is not necessarily the official view or communication of the Ministry for Culture and Heritage. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this message or the information in it. If you have received this message in error, please email or telephone the sender immediately.