Todd Moody wrote:

>As interesting as aUI is for its weirdness, it's almost certainly
unworkable
>as a language.  Not only is it phonetically problematic, but the 31 roots
>are necessarily so abstract that the compounds are at least as vague as
>ygyde's.  They would be much vaguer but the possibility of making
compounds
>longer than three roots allows a bit of additional specification of
>meaning.  Of course, that creates other problems, both semantic and
>phonetic.
>
>Sona, like ygyde, imposes fairly austere phonological constraints on
words.
>It's words are built around CV syllables, with and without initial vowels.
>Unlike ygyde, it attempts to group the roots semantically according to the
>meaning of the core syllable.  Thus, "ge" means "and, join, chain, link",
>but the other roots that include "ge" all have some connotation of
>connection: The verb "age" means to meet or contact; "ige" means to
cohere,
>stick, or cling; "gen" is a compound, mix or blend.  But the initial vowel
>"a" or "i" does not always make a root a verb, and the final consonant 'n'
>doesn't always make a word a noun, so the grammatical class of each word
>must be memorized.
>
>So between Sona and ygyde there is a trade-off of disadvantages.  In
ygyde,
>"ge" by itself refers to longitude 100 and latitude 51.  The
adjective "age"
>means stationary; the noun "yge" means environment; "oge" is the number
ten;
>"ige" means in front of or before; "ege" means noon; "uge" means vivid.
>Sona doesn't use POS markers, and is a disadvantage (in my view).  Ygyde
>uses POS markers, but in a manner that takes away part of the advantage of
>their use.  When I learn the Esperanto word "fingro", meaning finger, I
also
>know that the adjective "fingra" is possible, meaning fingerlike or
>pertaining to fingers.  Knowing that the ygyde word "yge" means
environment
>gives me no hint as to what the adjective "age" might mean.  I only know
>that it's some adjective or other.

I like your review, but I disagree with your
last statement. "yge" and "age" are completely
different words. (They are vaguely related in
odypi = "text siblings" which are listed in the
primer web file.) What matters is that you can
easily derive adjective and verb from the noun
environment (yge). I do not know what is the
meaning of "verb environment" but you can use
this compound word if you need it.

>Now, I understand the design principle that underlies this.  Ygyde uses a
>very restricted set of syllables, for phonological reasons, and therefore
>tries to jam as much semantic content into those syllables as possible.
>From that point of view, if "yge" means environment, it would be wasting a
>root to have "age" mean environmental.

True. I said that at the beginning of our discussion.

> So instead, if you need to convert "environment" to an
> adjective, you have to work with the systems of variables
> and placeholders, as I described in another message.  If
> I'm not mistaken, the ygyde word for "environmental"
> would work out to "egeli" (adjective environment dummy-noun).

True.

Examples of similar compound words:
to contain = izali = "verb container"
to estimate = ilyli = "verb number"
to fight = itali = "verb war"
to know = iduli = "verb knowledge"
to name = idali = "verb name"
national = etyli = "adjective country"
partial, incomplete = esyli = "adjective part"
to wear = ifili = "verb garment"

You have found serious omission in the note at
the bottom of the noun table. According to the
note, "egeli" means (adjective environment absurd)
rather than (adjective environment dummy-noun).
Corrected note:

If the syllable "li" is the last syllable of the
compound word, and the rest of the syllables are
two adjectives, or one adjective, or one noun,
"li" is ignored in the definition of the compound
word. Otherwise it means "no meaning" or "absurd."

Here is a strange compound word:
opelili = "adjective happy no meaning no meaning"

> My opinion is that the semantic economy of packing so many
> unrelated meanings into a limited set of syllables is
> more than offset by the additional burdens this system
> places on the learner.

At any rate, Ygyde is interesting because it is
extreme and unique in many ways. Kali-sise is also
interesting although it is much more conservative.

Arthur Schopenhauer who wrote that all
truth passes through three stages:
First it is ridiculed.
Second it is violently opposed.
Third it is accepted as being self evident.