MacLeod Dave skribis je 2006.03.18 10.59 ptm...
> In 60 years, the average lifespan could be as much as 100 years:
>
> http://www.saga.co.uk/health_news/article/E9DEB9D2-9863-11D6-B8AD-00508BAEC55C.asp?bhcp=1

Looks like articles that were being published in the sixties.

Much of the increase in lifespan over the 20th century was due not to
living longer (on the part of those who managed to reach age 5) but to a
decline in infant mortality, which automatically raises the average
lifespan. As the article notes, the cap on lifespans hasn't changed
much, if at all.

> Hm, as for the poll, it's pretty much exactly what I don't like - the
> perception that there's only one candidate. We need to get rid of that
> if we are to get anywhere. At the very least, the average person should
> know about the concept of an IAL, that there are many of them, that two
> others besides Esperanto have a stable user base, and that besides that
> there is a huge variety to look at.

Unfortunately (?), if you added Interlingua and Ido to such a poll,
you'd have to add a whole lot of other (ethnic) languages. In terms of
number of speakers and amount of support as a potential IAL, Esperanto
compares to English (or other languages in the poll) somewhat like Ido
compares to Letzeburgish. The situation might have been different had
not the (relatively few) supporters of Ido over the past century
(actually, 98-1/2 years) spent much of the time either bemoaning their
sad situation or attempting to recruit disaffected Esperanto speakers
rather than fishing in virgin territory. (No reflection on you
personally; your work at io.wikipedia.org shows that you know where
things ought to be at.)

But -- unlike the situation in 1908 -- in the public eye, and
considering only constructed languages, there _is_ only one candidate.

--
-- Don HARLOW
    http://donh.best.vwh.net/