On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:22:02 -0500, Dana Nutter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>li [Larry Sulky] mi tulis la

>That's pretty much the same as bilingual Spanish-English speakers in the
>U.S.   These speakers can speak English very clearly and fluently but
>have a certain sound to their speech which tends to not really sound
>Spanish but does uniquely identify them.  I've noticed a similar pattern
>with bilingual Chinese-English speakers.

With Spanish speakers in the US at least, I think it's because they imitate their own parents, who
learned English as a 2d language.  If sufficiently isolated, a group can do that until they actuall have a
dialect of English, like Indo-British or Amish speech, which (in my experience) retains a little
Germanness.