--- Rex May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >But how many natlangs have SSM?
>
> Mandarin pretty much does, a functions of virtually
> all morphemes being monosyllabic.

I sort of wonder about that. I know that Mandarin does
have SSM in the sense that you can tell where the
boundaries between kanji (morphemes?) are, but it
doesn't really allow you to tell the boundaries
between words per se, or between elements of a
sentence. I think that some of it is done by the
presence of grammatical words like "de", but a lot of
it is (probably) just processing based on the
recognition of words.

-Jens Wilkinson