Don Harlow wrote:
> Thinking a bit more about my two postings on this subject, it struck me
> that -- and I am not knowledgeable enough to quote an actual case -- if
> you had two adjoining Chinese morphemes of the form
>
> V1{LC} V2
>
> it might be hard to distinguish this pair from
>
> V1 CV2
>
> if the "C" in the second pair is the N, R or NG shown as "{LC}" in the
> first pair. (Though I don't know whether in the putonghua NG can appear
> initially; but N and R certainly can.)

You are referring to pairs like "an a" and "a na". I think they are
distinguishable... Or is it just me speaking slow and overarticulate
Chinese? :-)

NG doesn't appear in Putonghua initially except in some interjections
where it's both initial and final at the same time, i.e. the word is /N/
with a tone. So it's still in the limits of self segregation.

-- Risto Kupsala