On 3/20/06, Rex May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
--SNIP---

> Yes, SSM was coined (probably by JCB) to refer to morphemes only.   Words are another matter.
> I've heard it said that Mandarin speakers don't have much of a 'word' concept anyway, but have a
> good feel for morphemes.   They certainly write morphemes instead of words, for the most part.

JCB might have meant to refer to morphemes, but in effect he created
word-level SSM and not morpheme-level. Look how Loglan compounds are
built: from arbitrarily chosen segments of root words, segments that
are not morphemic in and of themselves. I don't have my text handy,
but I remember he built a word for 'suitcase' out of pieces of the
roots for 'travel' and 'box'. This was okay as a memory aid, but you
couldn't look at the word for 'suitcase' and reliably decompose it.
You could tell where the boundary between the pieces was, however, and
that might be good enough.
---larry