--- Larry Sulky <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Are there any examples of a pidgin or
> creole based
> primarily upon a voicing-distinction language and an
> aspiration-distinction language? If so, what was the
> phonemic result?

It's a good question and I'm certain the answer to the
first question is yes. I'm aware of at least one off
the bat, which is Chinese-English pidgin, which was
spoken in southern China in the 19th century, IIRC.
And maybe most languages have slightly different ways
of dividing the stops, so perhaps any pidgin or creole
will have that issue to some extent. So I'd be
interested in any information regarding that.

The possible complicating factor in this case is that
AFAIK, most pidgins are creoles are primarily spoken
by one side. In other words, Portuguese-based creoles
are spoken by the local people of the region (with
their own accent generally) with the adoption of a
vocabulary based on Portuguese. But the Portuguese
people don't speak it, so it's not really a mixture of
languages in that sense. It might be interesting to
look at the case of Hawaii, for example, where some of
the plantation workers were Japanese and others were
Chinese, for example. But I wonder if that kind of
phonological information is even known.

Jens Wilkinson