Hi!

John Vertical <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> > >Two? I can't think of anything else than "mutta".
> >
> >vaan
>
> Doh. Of course. :)
>
> I wouldn't say it's a question of the degree of contrast, however; my
> gut feeling is that "vaan" is used only in "not A but B"
> constructions, and "mutta" in other (conjunctive) contexts.

Maybe like German 'aber'/'sondern' contrast?

 Ich bin kein Finne,   sondern Deutscher.
 I   am  no   Finnish  but     German

 En    ole suomalainen, vaan olen saksalainen.
 I.not be  Finnish      but  I.am  German

vs.

 Ich bin Finne,   spreche aber Deutsch
 I   am  Finnish  speak   but  German

 Olen suomalainen, mutta puhun   saksaa.
 I.am Finnish      but   I.speak German.

Maybe it is this kind of contrast?  I cannot exactly formalise the
German contrast, however, but it seems 'not A but B' is at least
close.  Hopefully someone else knows rules -- I don't as it's my L1...

**Henrik
--
Relay 13 is over soon:
http://www.conlang.info/relay/relay13.html