Mark J. Reed wrote:

>On 3/29/06, Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>>*really* hard.  Thus I don't observe the correct allophony
>>when speaking English, but use [5] everywhere -- even saying
>>['mI5j@n] -- or rather ['mI\5:j3\n] :-) -- for "million".
>>

>Not sure how that is "incorrect allophony".  I have [5] in "million",
>too.  First syllable just like "milk" without the [k]...

Indeed.  English (and Australians and New Zealanders, I think) people
use [l] and [5], Welsh and Irish people use only [l], Scots and North
Americans use only [5].  So it really depends on what dialect you're
attempting to imitate. The thing that would mark Benct out as a foreign
speaker  there would be, IMO, his use of a long l.