My feeling is that if I have a good bike, I'm more likely to ride
more, but if I don't have a good bike, and I ride more, then I have
to spend more money to upgrade.  Over a 5 year period, the difference
amounts to less than I spend at Starbucks.  So the money doesn't
bother me as much as if the bikes will last 5 years.

Thanks for the advice
-jam