The Fuji base level cross bike is a killer deal and one heck of a lot lighter than the Surly for about one dinner out less cash (dinner out with bottle of wine at say...  Blaze).  But it isn't steel.  BUT it is aluminum and with big fat beefy tubes that won't rust you can lock it up where ever and not worry about the bike race ripping through the paint to expose rustable bits.

Cross is where its at.  But i think i may have said something along these lines.  And yeah take off the knobbies pop some sweet flat proof (well almost) 35c tires and you have a bomb proof commuter... drop in some 28 roadie tires and you have a bike that you can hit any club road ride on...  truely the ideal 'one' bike.