Good comments.  Talk to different bike shops.  Don't just get one opinion (that's a good aspect about this place - different opinions).

I'd add a vote to the Hub, but only based on my interactions with Jessie and Jack in regards to my not quite but close to 15 years of bike shop experience.  They know their stuff and are fair, honest and have good stuff and mechanical ability to back up the product.  A great bike bought at a crappy shop is a bad way to support the better bike shops.  With that said I STILL have yet to make it over to Prov Velo, or any of the other shops in town and around.

There isn't one brand that's better than others.  Bike fit is critical though.  And an experience mechanic/shop owner doesn't need the fit-kit crap to make the bike perfect.  The fit-kit is a way to lock you into a sale and give inexperienced sales people a tool to get close to a proper fit.  But they are massively prone to errors and ya gotta make sure its done correctly.  Or just get a bike from an old school kinda guy who can size ya up by looking.

Its the Rebirth of road bikes right now.  What the '90s was for mt bikes is the current trend to road machines.  You don't and probably shouldn't settle for a standard 'racing' bike if you aren't really going to be racing.  On the other hand you may want to just to have a change in bike style and so you can kick old slow luddites butts on the training rides ;).  Sure its all about the engine but new bikes are a damn nice thing.

The other side - the Giant may be nice and you might be tempted to go up a size to get a taller handle bar, but that would be wrong.  You should be on the same physical dimension Trek and Giant, despite the sloping top tube.

Don't get hung up on branding either.  KHS, Fuji, Felt, Raliegh, Trek, Cannondale...  the parts and the fitmet are far more important.  Frame material is another key choice.  Many people go at purchasing by making a selection then shopping.  A nice carbon bike might feel hasher than an Aluminum bike.  But look deeper.

The only advice i would hope you take is to test the different bikes out with the same wheel set.  5 psi of pressure difference can make or break a sale.  Same thing for a forgiving vs stiff wheel set.  You are first and formost buying a bike.  Your tires will wear out and they make 50% of the ride feel up sometimes and often greatly affect a test ride.  The wheels are also critical and you will have less choice in what you buy but, using the same wheels from bike to bike will let you best judge the difference between the frames.

good luck and have fun with the process.

Geoff