On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:04:20 -0400, Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On 4/12/06, Jeff Jones <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > 1. fokan Hwan mamakwe
> >   Juan saw his mother.
>
> kan: root "see".
yes

> fo-, based on this, #7 and #8 is some kind of past tense prefix.
yes

> Not sure if this is "mama"+"kwe" with "kwe" being a personal suffix,
> or if "mamakwe" is the root with "his" inferred from context.  In
> later sentences -kwe seems to be an infinitive verb suffix.
>
> > 2. kanko pasuna tuperu
> >   I see the dog sleeping.
>
> "suna" : root "to sleep",
yes

> pa- probably a participial prefix?

> -ko: maybe 1SG verb suffix.
yes

> tuperu of course "dog".
"the dog", actually

> > 3. kopisuna
> >   I'll sleep (sometime).
>
> pi- future tense?  #9 and #6 suggest so.
yes

> Not sure about ko-, perhaps an indefiniteness marker.  Would
>
> kofosuna
>
> mean "I slept (at some unspecified period)"?
yes

> > 4. etxa Hwan pakankwe tuperu
> >   Juan wants to see the dog.
>
> Maybe pa-~-kwe forms the infinitive.
effectively so

> etxa - to want.
>
> > 5. Hwan tuadetxa pakankwe tuperu
> >   It's Juan that wants to see the dog.
>
> Not sure what this tuad- prefix is about.
That's probably the trickiest part.

> > 6. appikantotz Hwan
> >   Juan will see us here.
>
> ap- a 1PL object marker?
no; I'll mention that |ap| here and |ad| in #5 are the same morpheme -- I
know this is not transparent. There's another morpheme in the text that has
2 (related) forms.

> -totz a 3SG subject marker?
no

> But most other 3SG verbs aren't so marked.
that's right

> > 7. tzifosuna
> >   We slept.
>
> tzi- 1PL subject prefix?
yes

> > 8. fokantzi mama Huan
> >   We saw Juan's mother.
>
> Here -tzi seems to be a 1PL subject *suffix*.
yes

> Need to see a larger corpus to figure out when and
> why it prefixes or suffixes.  And the use of "mama"
> by itself suggests that indeed "-kwe" in the first
> sentence is a personal suffix.  Is it mere homophony
> that it looks like the "-kwe" in infinitives or are they
> really the same underlying word?
I consider them the same.

> > 9. pikantok tuperu suna
> >   You'll see the sleeping dog.
>
> -tok : 2SG or 2PL subject suffix.
If my original message didn't have errors, that would be correct.

> Are NOUN VERB and PARTICIPLE-VERB NOUN
> in free variation or is there something about
> the contexts of #2 and #9 that requires a
> particular form in each case?  Must wait
> for a larger corpus to decide.
Note that |pa-suna tuperu| is a clause (the dog is sleeping), while