>Jeffrey Jones <jsjonesmiami@...> wrote:

>I'm always interested in seeing how comparisons are done. Also
>equatives, superlatives etc. I'm trying to figure out how "Delta"
>does these.

In Senjecas there is only one degree of comparison which is used for
both the comparative and the superlative.  Adjectives form this
comparative degree by modifying the adjective with the adverb
_vlu_, more, e.g., _myhe nes_, a big dog; _vlu myhe nes_,
a bigger dog; _o naasos_, a swift boat; _vlu o naasos_,
[the] swiftest boat.  The noun or pronoun of comparison is in the
stative case followed by the postposition _sma_, in comparison to.
There are no suppletive forms in Senjecas.

Adjectives form the equative degree by adding the suffix _-stlis_
to the class root of the adjective, e.g.,_mre ffles_, a blue
butterfly; _ffles des mrestles nso sma sa_, this butterfly
is as blue as that one.  The noun or pronoun of comparison is in the
stative case followed by the postposition _sma_, in comparison to.

Negative comparative adjectives are formed by modifying the
adjective with the adverb _lsu_, less, e.g., _dnes des lsu es
nso sma sa_, this river is less swift than that one.  The noun
or pronoun of comparison is in the stative case preceding the
postposition _sma_, in comparison to.

Negative equative adjectives are formed by using the adverb _ne_ to
negate the verb, e.g., _ffles des mrestles nso sma sa ne_,
this butterfly is not so blue as that one.  The noun or pronoun of
comparison is in the stative case followed by the postposition sma,
in comparison to.

Charlie