On 4/19/06, caeruleancentaur <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
How do you express the concept "the...the..." as in "the more, the
merrier" in your conlangs.  Senjecas does not have the definite
article, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

I know that Spanish uses "cuanto...tanto...."

What exactly is the etymology of the German "je...desto..."?

Thanks.
Charlie

Funny thing... although in Spanish the structure is "cuanto... tanto.." the expression is always translated (at least in Mexico) as: "mientras más, mejor" instead of "cuanto más tanto mejor" or "cuanto más, mejor"

Sapthan.

P.D. I've just begun to consider inventing a language, so I don't have translations into conlangs yet.

--
Nac Mac Feegle! Wee Free Men!
Nae King! Nae Quin! Nae Laird! Nae Master!