Dear Francois,

At 04:59 PM 5/8/2006, you wrote:
> > I am considering doing the same thing
> > for the ids of the footnotes, for instance
> > xml:id="RefEd_p_26_fn_**" Is this a legitimate use of id
> > strings or should it be avoided?
><quote>I would suggest, as have others already, that you put the information
>in the content of either attributes or elements. Otherwise, documents of
>the type that you are elaborating are incomplete without a stylesheet - I
>can't know if they are valid until the syntax of the domain strings has
>been checked.</quote>
>
>I was excited about the prospect of leveraging XSLT and its string and
>substring functions.
>
>Under P5 could a schema be created to validate an "attribute grammar"
>specific to a TEI instance? If so how would the Guidelines treat such a
>creature?

Although I haven't been privy to these discussions in detail, I
believe the allowance in P5 of Schematron rule sets has at least been
suggested. As you probably know, in Schematron, rules are expressed
in XPath; especially with XPath 2.0 support (regular expressions!),
assertion of rules such as you're describing should be possible at
least in principle.

As for the Guidelines, they'd treat such a creature the same as
they'd treat any Schematron rules you cared to include.

Check out the XPath 2.0 matches() function. Writing a simple
stylesheet to do this without Schematron is another reasonable approach.

As for whether such an "attribute grammar" is a good idea or not ...
as always, that depends on requirements. Sometimes eager designers
will deploy such a scheme based on its presumed usefulness, only to
find it makes for maintenance headaches without giving real benefits;
this gives such constraints a bad name in some circles. So: freshmen
like them, sophomores disdain them, juniors are jaded and seniors are
equable. (Apologies to readers who don't know the class system of US
four-year undergraduate institutions.)

Cheers,
Wendell