Because the TEI table model (like the XHTML one) is essentially
row-based, there's no simple way to assign roles or features to columns.
I'm trying to figure out the best way to encode such information.

Is this an appropriate place to use the TEI feature structure elements?
For example, to indicate for a 2-column table that the first column
contains text and the second currency values, use tagging like this:

        <fs type="columndef">
        </fs>
        <!-- etc. -->

(using P5 syntax, which has <symbol> rather than P4 <sym>):

Am I overlooking a more obvious or natural way to encode this type of
information? Is it an abuse of <f> to treat table columns as "features"
of a table?

It would be easy enough to extend the definition of <table> to allow
something like

   <colDef>
     <cl n="1">text</cl>
     <cl n="2">currency</cl>
   </colDef>

but it seems to me that's just a sort of feature structure in disguise.

DS

Electronic Imprint, The University of Virginia Press
PO Box 400318, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
Email: [log in to unmask]   Tel: +1 434 924 9973
Web: http://www.ei.virginia.edu/