On Wed, 31 May 2006, Wayne Graham wrote:

> Strangely enough I was in the process of writing a similar question when I
> got this. I'm in the process of transcribing a 19th century daybook/ledger
> where the information is grouped into roughly three columns. The first being
> a date, the second a person and/or the goods they received, and the last an
> amount charged. It's been a while since I've done much tagging and with the
> introduction of P5 I was wondering if there was a better way to tag this
> type of data.

After thinking about things some more, I'm leaning toward extending the
TEI table model to add an element <colDefs> as an optional first child
of <table>:

  <colDefs>
    <colDef n="1" role="date" rend="italic"/>
    <colDef n="2" role="transaction"/>
    <colDef n="3" role="currency"/>
  </colDefs>

where <colDef> would be an empty element with global attributes plus
@role.

We already have the ability to use row/@role and row/@rend, and this
would extend that to columns.

DS

Electronic Imprint, The University of Virginia Press
PO Box 400318, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
Email: [log in to unmask]   Tel: +1 434 924 9973
Web: http://www.ei.virginia.edu/