I 110% agree that a decent TEI Cookbook would do wonders. Wearing
another hat, I give talks about how to make open source projects
succeed, and one of my bullet points is "get someone to write a proper
book". Having an O'Reilly book about your project lends it credibility
in the marketplace.

Additionallu, I confess that Lou Burnard and I have a contract to write
a TEI book for Addison-Wesley, now much overdue. If I could get a job
which let me spend more time on the TEI, I'd be working on it 7 days a
week :-}

I have some caveats about starting a community project (though in most
ways it would be a great idea):

 a) A community-written cookbook is a great thing when it succeeds. A
community book which gets started and then peters out is a PR disaster.
Make no mistake, getting this done well is a lot of work and commitment.

 b) To my mind, we can't write a book until we have TEI stable, and are
all singing from the same songsheet. A lot of us are investing effort
into P5, a lot of others are doing great work with P4; it really is
important to get everyone into the P5 world. Alternatively, if the P5
Spruce Goose will never fly, say so now!

 c) The TEI is notable for having really well-written and edited
detailed Guidelines, full of examples. Let's not let that work wither
at the cost of good stuff in a cookbook. The Guidelines needs extended
examples embedded within it, in different languages and genres, which
can be extracted ad lib.

That said, can I remind folks that the TEI has a nice wiki set just
begging for you to dive in and contribute tips!
--
Sebastian Rahtz

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk