HI Sebastian,

What information you show, and where you show it, would be issues for
CSS and DOM manipulation, surely. If you want to show the revisionDesc
info at the bottom of a file, you could either use JS to create a new
element on the fly at the bottom of the page, or you could simply use
css positioning and make that tag show up exactly where you want it. The
first would give you more absolute control -- if you're creating
elements you can do exactly what you want with them -- but the second
would be "purer" in a sense. But with current and future CSS, where an
element comes in the document flow is not necessarily a strong influence
on where it appears in the rendered browser view.

This is largely blue-sky stuff at the moment, though. I'm just looking
forward to a time when we can drop the XSLT transforms, and work with a
single document which can render itself on the fly according to the
context, user agent, and other variables, using just CSS and JS. I think
we'll be there in three or four years, and perhaps even sooner.

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Holmes