Martin Holmes wrote:
> I can see a philosophical objection
> to the inclusion of this type of information, because a format like TEI
> is supposed to be universal and portable, but I think it's sometimes
> going to be as important to record the authoring tool as it is to record
> details of individuals who worked on the file.

I'd agree with this.  The authoring environment or generator (if anything more
than just 'an XML editor') should be recorded.  Imagine if there are errors in
the XML, you might want to track down how it was generated and fix the bug in
the program. But regardless, it is metadata in the creation of the XML file and
if easy to do there will always be a benefit in recording it.  'creation' seems
to be a reasonable place to store this information.  One could also argue that
the ODD used to generate a schema for a document is itself a piece of metadata
about that document.

-James