Charles Muller schrieb:
> I'm curious to hear if anyone has any especially satisfactory
> experiences to report regarding wysiwyg XML editors. In addition to
> using TEI to handle various encoding projects, I write my articles in
> XML-TEI, and at the final stage like to be able to edit in something
> close to a word processor mode.
>
> In the past, I've used XML Spy's Stylesheet designer with some
> success, but the Windows limitation and pricing do not make this much
> of a viable long-term option, especially since I can use either
> TEI-Emacs or oXygen to do all of my basic XML work. I recently
> downloaded and tried Ephox, Xopus, and Bitflux, and have found that
> they either didn't work on Linux, or didn't work with my documents at
> all.
>
> Serna seems to work OK with TEI P4 using a preset TEI stylesheet
> (Sebastian's?), and is multi-platformed on Java, but AFAICT, does not
> let me designate my own stylesheets.
>
> I am guessing that there is not much out there beyond these, but would
> be interested to know if someone has found something else.

Coincidentally, I looked around for such editors just yesterday. In
addition to what you mentioned, I found Vex
(http://vex.sourceforge.net/), a Java-based, multiple platform "visual
xml editor". I haven't tested it yet.

Some of my colleagues here use Morphon. Morphon is not developed any
longer. The latest version used to be available for free, but now even
the company website from which it could be downloaded seems to have gone
dead (http://www.morphon.com/), so I don't know how it can still be
obtained. The downloads I found (on zdnet and similar sites) are only of
Mac OS X versions.

At any rate, what my colleagues do with Morphon seems promising: a
person who had no knowledge of XML until a few months ago is now capable
to easily produce XML for text-critical editions of Sanskrit, in a
purely WYSIWYG interface. (The goal is to produce an XML source that
will then be fed to LaTeX for printing.)

Best regards,

Birgit Kellner