Hi there,

IMHO, the single most significant thing we could all do to encourage the
use of TEI is to make sure that in every project we do with TEI where
materials are available online, the TEI XML is also available for view.
When I've been trying to figure out how best to approach some encoding
issue in TEI, I frequently find sites or projects where the same type of
thing has obviously been handled, but the XML of the individual files is
not available (or not easily available) for viewing.

For instance, with the Women Writers Online project, I can easily find
and view a text in HTML:

<http://textbase.wwp.brown.edu/cgi-bin/dynaweb-wwp/nph-dweb/dynaweb/wwptextbase/wwpCorpus/@Generic__BookTextView/564;hf=0?DwebQuery=lucy+not+in+(%3Cteiheader%3E+or+%3Cfw%3E+or+%3Cfigdesc%3E+or+(%3Ccastlist%3E+in+%3Chyperdiv%3E))&KWICHits=1-2&KWICSort=author&KWICmode=oneBook&refinePref=no>

but what I'd really like to see is a link right there to show me the XML
markup of the text too. Then I could easily go from discovering a
feature of the text to finding out how it was encoded.

When we did the ACH/ALLC 2005 abstracts with P4, I made a point of
making every TEI document in the project easily viewable through the
Website
(<http://mustard.tapor.uvic.ca/cocoon/ach_abstracts/xq/program.xq>)
because I'd been so frustrated by this. In future projects I'm going to
go one step further and add a transform to strip out the default
attributes, which clutter up the XML view. We've already done this with
the Graves Diary project:

<http://www.tapor.uvic.ca/cocoon/graves/markup_files.xq>

I know people are nervous about doing this because it exposes their XML
to inspection and possible criticism (that has certainly been an issue
with a couple of markup people I've worked with). But the overall
effects would be that we'd all read more of each other's markup, so
emerging practice would tend to be more uniform, and novices would learn
more quickly and be less daunted because there would be lots of examples
available.

Cheers,
Martin

--