Syd Bauman wrote:
>>My project is in P4 but I'm thinking of including in an extensions
>>file the P5 tags for manuscript documentation. Are there any
>>particular pros or cons of which I should be aware?
>

> I'm not sure what your work-flow is like, so there may be very good
> reasons to stay with P4. But as far as the document instances
> themselves are concerned, it is probably just about as easy to switch
> them to P5 than write the P4 extension that would be needed.

I fear I have to disagree with my co-editor here. If you want to use the
manuscript documentation elements, you really really are better of
switching to P5. You'll find it much easier than trying to develop from
scratch an equivalent P4 extension file -- and I speak as one who did
precisely that!

When you say "my project is in TEI P4", do you mean that you have a
substantial amount of material already encoded in P4 and are still
working on producing more of it? If so, you'll find that switching to P5
gives you access to some useful new features (easier customization,
better handling of funny characters...); if you've already done the bulk
of your text encoding work, on the other hand, the one-off cost of
converting P4 to P5 will be much less than the cost of trying to
retrofit a P5 module onto a P4 base.