Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>>> Plus linking. Unless CSS can declare links and browsers recognize
>>> them. (Can it do that?)
>>
>> Yes: <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-hyperlinks/
>
> Since this says "W3C Working Draft 24 February 2004",
> it strikes me that if they have  progressed no further than
> a WD since 2004, then the chances of CSS3 being used
> in anger in my lifetime seem remote....

Last I looked in on this (granted, some time ago), there was some tension between who was going to be responsible for such things.  At one point, it was supposed to be the XLink WG.  Since XLink has not exactly taken the world by storm for "generic linking in XML" (the meaning of "linking" here including embedding, such as images, etc.), the CSS folks may yet get another chance.

>> Also images, using stuff like this:
>>
>> h1 { content: url(image.gif); }
>>

> how does that solve
>
>  <graphic url="foo.png"/>

If you mean supporting images in generic XML through CSS, see the examples below ...

   http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/#attribute

Not exactly sure whether that means ...

   graphic { content: url(url); }

or

   graphic { content: url(attr(url)); }

or

   graphic { content: replaced attr(url, url); }

Granted, a little hard to read because "url" is doing double-duty as the CSS keyword and as the attribute name on "graphic".

Anyway, we're not there yet.

PS.  But at least that WD is from mid-2005.  :)

/Jelks