On 5/7/06, Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> At the level of encoding you need, I'd have thought an automated upgrade
> from HTML to TEI is not beyond the bounds of possibility? If people can
> markup up <p> and section headings and italics in HTML, then making
> clean (if not sophisticated) TEI XML is just a matter of programming...

For the general fiction books, that isn't too much of a problem (we've got a
barebones conversion tool available).  It is the more "involved" texts that
cause confusion.  For instance, just adding footnotes to a text makes it
confusing for the newbie.  Another confusing point is properly nesting

The other problem is conceptual.  HTML incorporates largely presental tags
all over the place.  People love to use such tags to "match" the page layout
of the original book.  TEI is largely semantical tags where you are more
concerned with what something IS rather than what it LOOKS like.  This
subtle but important difference trips up new markup folks than come from an
HTML background.

Josh