Oh, absolutely the TEI documents would be useful for the things you mention
(and probably a hundred other things that I can't even think of at the
moment).

But for Project Gutenberg's purposes, we want to get the texts out into the
hands of the general public.  The more esoteric academic purposes are beyond
our specific goals (not counter to them, just beyond them).

The most accessible formats for our purpose are txt, PDF and html.  TEI
provides an easy way to maintain a "master" document instead of having to
maintain multiple files when typos/fixes are reported later down the road.
Our biggest problem is a lack of "knowledgeable" volunteers to work on TEI
master documents.  HTML and txt layout is a fairly widely available talent
pool.  TEI not so much.

Josh