Some of what you want to do could be covered (or has, in certain
projects) been covered by the use of @rend on various elements
describing what is going on. So for example a special feature of an
abbreviation could be marked as <abbr rend="insular">, or a single
character within <c> or <hi>. There are, of course, no special
attributes for saying "this character is in a different colour ink", or
"this word is in majuscule" to represent a special meaning, which might
be useful.

The only projects I know of that have tried to express this kind of
information are (1) the early DLV which had an XML transcript in TEI,
where <handShift>s were used to indicate change in ink colour, <abbr>s
were typed into sixteen or so categories, and so forth. No TEI
extensions, though. (2) EpiDoc, where detailed comment on physical
appearance of letters is significant because most epigraphic texts are
so short and obscure: we mostly use <hi> to mark tall letters, or
strikethrough, or overbar, etc.

This will be particularly important for a project that I am about to
get involved with: Byzantine Seals in TEI, because sigillographers are
interested in every single feature of letter forms, including four
variant alphas (that have to be encoded by the same Unicode character).
For this we shall have to come up with some way of marking the
letterform and other special features in XML and then displaying them
as variant unicode font glyphs in the diplomatic transcript.

I too would be very interested to know if other projects have codified
this kind of material already (because I hate reinventing wheels...)

Best,

Gabriel

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD