I would like some feedback on an issue about internationalization.
I have batting back and forth ideas with the TEI editors, but it's getting
hard to pin down.

The situation is this. We have (or will have) in the TEI:

 - translations of element names (pace Beddow, someone may want this)
 - translations of descriptions into several languages
 - examples in several languages

If we create a schema, we may want to use all, some or none of these. ie it
makes sense to have

 - english element names, documentation and English examples only
 - english element names, english documentation, and examples in all
languages (the default?)
 - english element names, chinese documentation, chinese examples only
 - french names, documentation in french if possible else english,
examples in French or Italian only

Where do we express all these preferences? At first I had it
application-specific,
as parameters to stylesheets, but now I want to pin it down and allow it
to be specified in an ODD customization. But how and where? some choices:

 - specify @schemLang, @docLang and @exampleLang as attributes on
<schemaSpec>, each
   being a list of language codes
 - add a new section <outputSpec> to <schemaSpec>, and have creation
children:
     <generate type="elementName" targetLang="bg"/>
     <generate type="description" targetLang="bg"/>
     <generate type="description" targetLang="ru"/>
     <generate type="examples"/>   <!-- implies all languages-->
 or a million variations thereon
   - do the same thing in the header (cf Holmes' recent discussion)

or what? do I need to model fallbacks ("if French isnt available,
Italian will do")? do
I need to allow for someone who wants no examples at all?

can anyone give advice on the range of possibilities they genuinely want
to express,
and suggest a notation?

--
Sebastian Rahtz