From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Herman Miller
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 10:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: I may not be a bearded, left-handed, gay Lithuanian, but...

Adam Walker wrote:
> Nice list!
>
> --- wayne chevrier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>I found a Western Abenaki dictionary in a thrift
>>store.
>

> I don't have anything on Western Abenaki, and I'm not
> even sure where it's spoken or what family it's in!

Me neither. But if I saw one, I'd probably buy it.

> Other languages I
>
>>have something on(bilingual book, dictionary,
>>picture dictionary, phrase
>>book, word list, grammar, Teach Yourself, etc.):
>>English,
>

> Got it.

Almost goes without saying...

> Middle English,
>
> Ditto.

Hmm.. Not sure if I actually have anything on that...

>>Scots, Old English, Icelandic, Norwegian, Danish,
>>Swedish, Dutch, German,

Not Scots, but I've got books on the others, plus Old Norse.

> 8 dittoes.  Also Faroese, Althochdeutch, Gothic,
> Frisian, Swabian, Viennese and possibly others.
>

>>Latin, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian,
>>Romanian,

I have these.

> Six dittoes plus Dalmatian, Occitan, Sicilian,
> Galician, Catalan, Cajun, Joual, and Kreyol.

Only one Haitian Creole dictionary.

>>Lithuanian,

I don't recall if I actually have a Lithuanian dictionary (I can't seem
to find it if I do, but my dictionaries aren't in any sort of order). I
do have a Latvian book and a dictionary.

> Ditto, plus Latvian and Old Prussian, plus some stuff
> printed out from the net on other extinct members of
> the family.
>
> Russian.
>
>>Ukrainian, Czech, Croat, Polish,
>

> 5 Ditoes, plus Byelorussian, Slovak, Slovene, Wendish,
> "Highland" Polish, Serbian, Bosnian, Bulgarian,
> Macedonian, OCS, and possibly others.

Russian, Ukrainian, Czech, Slovak, Polish, Serbo-Croat, Slovene, Bulgarian.

>>Irish, Gaelic,

Both of these and Welsh.

> 2 dittoes, plus Manx, Cornish, and Welsh.
>

>>Albanian,

Yes. Plus Armenian, wherever that goes.

> Ditto.
>
> Classical Greek,
>
>>Modern Greek,

Both of these.

> 2 dittoes, plus Byzantine and NT Greek.
>

>>Farsi, Sanskrt, Hindi, Punjabi,

All of these.

> 4 Dittoes, plus Kurdish, Marathi, Maithili, Bengali,
> Gujarati, Assamese, Nepali, Romany, Adawasi Oriya,
> Tajik and probably others.

Kurdish, Bengali, Gujarati, Nepali, Romany, Tajik, and Sinhalese.

>>Finnish, Hungarian,

Yes to both of these, plus Estonian.

> 2 dittoes, plus Saami, Mari, and a couple of others.

Georgian, Chechen (not related but I couldn't find a better place for
them in the list).

> Turkish,
>
> Ditto, plus, Azeri, Uzbek, Kazakh, Uyigur, and
> Turkmen.

Turkish, Uzbek, Azerbaijani, plus a dictionary of Turkic languages which
includes a bunch of others.

>>Arabic, Hebrew, Ancient Egyptian,

Yes to these three.

> 3 dittoes, plus Iraqi, Kuwaiti, Saudi, Levantine,
> Egyptian and Morrocan-specific materials.  Hebrew,
> anciant and modern.  Also Amharic, Somali, Tigrinya,
> Assyrian, and others.

Amharic, Somali, Tigrinya, Assyrian.

>>kiSwahili,
>

> Ditto.  Plus Venda, Zulu, Xhosa, Bemba, Shona, Tswana,
> Twi, Hausa, Lulua, and others.

Swahili, Zulu, Xhosa, Shona, Tswana, Twi, Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa.

>>Tamil,

Yes.

> Ditto and Mayalam and Telugu IIRC.
>

>>Thai, Lao,

Both of these, plus Yay.

> 2 Dittoes.
>
> Vietnamese,

Yes, and Cambodian.

>>Hmoob(Hmong),
>

> 2 dittoes, plus Rao and several others.

>>Chinese, Cantonese,
>

> 2 Dittoes, plus Taiwanese, Wu, Xiang, Tibetan, and
> some others, I believe.

Chinese, Cantonese, Taiwanese, Tibetan, Burmese, Eastern Kayah Li,
Mongolian, Manchu.

> Korean, Japanese,
>
> 2 dittoes.

Yes to both of these.

>>Indonesian, Gadang,
>>Tagalog, Hawaiian,

Indonesian, Malay, Tagalog, Ilocano, Bugotu, Fijian, Tongan, Samoan,
Hawaiian, Maori, Malagasy.

Also Nunggubuyu (from Australia).

> 3 dittoes.  I lack Gadang.  But I have Tahitian,
> Fijian, Visayan (IIRC), Javanese, Sundanese, Balinese,
> Chamoro, and several others including related langs
> from PNG.
>
> Ojibwa, Mohegan, Shawnee,
>
>>Inuktitut, Mohawk, Cree,
>

> Ditto on Ojibwa and Cree, but alack I lack the others.
>  However I have Cherokee, Dakota, Miwok,
> Alabama-Coshuta, Babine-Carrier, Yupik, Inupiak,
> several Mayan langs, Waorani, Tupi, and a good double
> hand full of others.

Tlingit, Dakota/Lakota, Mohawk, Lenape, Passamaquoddy-Maliseet,
Cherokee, Navajo, Comanche, Choctaw, Tohono O'odham, Nahuatl, Maya,
Jacaltec, Quechua.

>>Klingon, Sindarin, Quenya, Esperanto, Sandastrian,
>

> Ditto on the first 4.  Also have Interlingua, the Star
> Wars phrasebook, and several printouts of various
> projects with an on-line presence.

Klingon, Esperanto, Lojban, Enochian, Tsolyáni, and a book on Tolkien's
languages (mainly Sindarin and Quenya).

>>Proto-Indoeuropean, and
>>Proto-World.
>

> Ditto, and other protos, but mostly in the form of
> articles treating on a specific aspect of said.
>
> I also have books on langs such as Ainu, Basque, and
> other Isolates, various langs of PNG from famlies not
> in your list and other various and sundry that are not
> presently coming to mind.

Basque, yes, plus the chapter on Ainu in Shibatani's book _The Languages
of Japan_.

> Additionally I have materials on American Sign
> Language, Signed English, British Sign Language,
> Taiwan Sign Language, Hong Kong Sign Language, Plains
> Indian Hand Talk, Austrian Sign Language, and articles
> about others such as Russian, German, French, Martha's
> Vinyard, Nicaraguan, Mexican and Hebrew signed
> languages.  Oh, and then there's Gestuno.

I only have a CD-ROM on American Sign Language.

> At present my language books fill about 6 standard
> 5-shelf book cases.
>
> Adam the compulsive.
>
> Debostu indagud ul Erodu segredimindi cuamandu uls magus pera ul tembu
djil aparechuni djal steja,
> 8 ed remichud sis ad Betuemi, dichindu: «Cumvi avinedis iju indagadi
djudjindimindi djal credura, ed cumvi discuvredis si dadi mivi saberi pera
fi ia ju ed adori ju sivi magari.»