I wouldn't mind seeing a country established with a speaking
population of both, that would be kind of fun. In all honesty they're
no more different from each other than some varieties of languages
that are classified as one from the outside. Frisian for example.
The impression I got when I first looked at the history of Ido and
Esperanto was wow, this 'conflict' has been going on for a looong
time, and I'm 26. I could see why your son doesn't really care.