I would memorize "seman" way better than "comprar." I fail to see why "comprar"
is better than "seman", which sounds pretty cool actually. I am sorry I did not
know "comprar" until I married a Spanish speaker and I don't know about that
Marx's comprastuff, but I suspect many English speakers and most of the planet
don't either.

The so-called current "international" vocabulary is really English-driven
vocabulary. For that matter "buy" is way more known around the world than these
"kop", "kauf" or "kup" words.

"International" is a convenient word for auxlangers to use English vocabulary
without talking of English and to justify cumbersome European grammar rules
that they cannot step out of.

I doubt that most people care about where the vocabulary of an auxlang is drawn
from but they bemoan the real problems when learning a European language, that
is the whimsical prepositions, mandatory affixes, etc., all that stuff that is
religiously kept in current auxlangs, because of past ignorance and current
lack of curiosity.

I understand that current auxlangers cling to that myth of internatioanlity,
because beyond that there is not much superior in their auxlangs.

Finally, I think all this a religious issue: either you believe that a guy or a
bunch of linguists achieved at once from a single European background the
perfect something that nobody can do better ever, or you suspect that other
backgrounds other achievements are possible.

Mathias

<<<
The discussion about apriori or aposteriori vocabulary is in principle
only of scientific interest. For the practical language learner or
constructor it is of little importance. Say tthat I learn a language where
there is a word "pirkt". It happens to mean "to buy". If the constructor
thought that one out it is apriori. If that one does know that it is
Latvian, then it is a posteriori!

This is OK. If there is enough motivation in the learners then it doesn't
matter if the word is "pirkt" or "seman" (which indeed is apriori, 'cause
I coined it just now (and will probably have forgotten it tomorrow).

So the problem for our language constructor is to find out a vocabulary
that people can understand or at least memorize very easily. Therefore
"comprar" might be a better word than "pirkt". It is clearly a Western
word and it is international. It is known through the word "Comprador
economy" (which I think that Marx wrote about).

And an Interlinguan "comprar" saunds a little similar to German "kaufen"
or Swedish "köpa".

Then the constructor has got to assign as much as possible to the
already-known vocabulary. The Esperanto or Interlingua concepts can be
used. Motivation and organizational capacity will decide what sort of
vocabulary to chose.

Kjell R
--
Använder Operas banbrytande e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/mail/