--- Andrew Nowicki <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I disagree. There is universal trend towards shorter
> words and simpler grammar. Long words are used in
> spoken language to improve comprehension in a noisy
> environment.

This is an intriguing statement, about the trend
toward shorter words. I assume that you're not the
Comte de St.-Germain, and consequently that this is
not something that you've witnessed personally. Do you
have some evidence for this, or perhaps a slightly
more detailed explanation?

Very honestly, this isn't simply a hostile question. I
suspect you may be correct, but I think it's a
question that deals not so much with the evolution of
language as with changes in technology.

-Jens Wilkinson