Jens Wilkinson wrote:

>This is an intriguing statement, about the trend
>toward shorter words. I assume that you're not the
>Comte de St.-Germain, and consequently that this is
>not something that you've witnessed personally. Do you
>have some evidence for this, or perhaps a slightly
>more detailed explanation?
>
>Very honestly, this isn't simply a hostile question. I
>suspect you may be correct, but I think it's a
>question that deals not so much with the evolution of
>language as with changes in technology.

I do not remember the source, but I read some books
about Slavic languages -- their grammar was generally
simplified in the past millennium. Polish language has
probably more complex grammar than other Slavic languages
despite a simplification reform that took place early in
the middle ages. (I speak fluent Polish.) I no longer
speak Russian, but I remember that Russians like to make
abbreviations, for example: univermag = universalnyj
magazin. U.S. military abbreviates just about everything.
There are plenty of abbreviations in everyday English:
specs, cop, mall, ad, grandma, Bill, Tom, Rick...