On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:30:59 -0400, Larry Sulky <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On 6/26/06, Rex May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:34:48 -0400, Larry Sulky <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>---SNIP---
>> >
>> >Rex, could you give some examples of this in Ceqli?
>>

>> Sure.
>>
>> go kom pan.   I eat bread.
>> pan go kom.  Bread, I eat.
>> kom pan go.  Eat bread, I.
>>
>> and I guess I'd allow a comma, representing a pause, to be inserted at the 'nonstandard' seam.
>>
>> pan, go kom.
>> kom pan, go.
>>
>> Note that the English is just as comprehensible in OSV and VOS.
>>

>I'd think you'd definitely need the comma to help mark that "kom" (in
>the third sample) is functioning as a verb, not as the subject. Or can
>"kom" function only as a verb?  ----L

Again, it's kind of contextual.  "kom pan go" _could_ mean a lot of things, but probably just
means "eat bread, I".   Other than 'eat', kom really can only (I think at this point) mean maybe
'eating'.

Deconstructing, 'kom pan' could mean 'eating bread' or rather 'bread for eating' (as opposed to
cleaning wallpaper bread), but when you get to the end of the sentence, there isn't really any
verb, so something else has to be the verb.  Could be 'pan', but then the sentence doesn't make
any sense.   So while I don't think the comma is really needed, it's a plus, in that it indicates
what is naturally a pause for me.

I also plan to have a systematic list of tag particles that indicate part of speech and role in
sentence, that are optional, of course, and can be used in precise Ceqli.