On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:45:17 -0700, Thomas Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> But even this is an artificial restriction on the
> topic.  Why limit to conversations with someone whose
> language you have never learned?  Doing so disalows
> stories from people who instead of spending 2000
> hours learning Occidental spent 1000 hours learning
> Esperanto and 200 hours each on 5 major Western
> languages.

I'm getting a bit confused as to what is allowed in this survey. As far as
face-to-face conversations, I have spoken Esperanto with people who did
not speak English (nor did I speak their language). I have also (for fun)
spoken my Almensk to Scandinavians, successfully, but I have yet to meet a
Scandinavian who does not speak English.

In written form, I have used both Occidental and Romanyol with speakers of
Portuguese, a language that I haven't really studied but can understand
pretty well. For that matter, I've used Spanish in the same way, but
suspect that speakers of Portuguese find the practice more offensive.

For a while I was active in a Yahoo group whose members wanted to create a
common, Romance-based language on the fly (the group still exists, though
it's slumbering, and is called romacento-forum). We all wrote somewhat
differently, but by trying we found that we could make ourselves
understood to each other without any special study. In fact, that's the
way the group worked all the time, and we never resorted, that I can
remember, to English, Spanish, French, etc. I don't think most of the
members were experienced conlangers, either. It was just something we did
for fun.

I'm not sure what, if anything, any of this proves.

--Don T

--
Lo romanyol es una lingua molt fŕcil. Todas las personas que ja parlan una
lingua romŕnica poden aprender e parlar romanyol. Lo romanyol ten tambč