Il giorno ven, 29/09/2006 alle 13.40 +0800, Marcus Bingenheimer ha
scritto:
> Dear list members,
>
> this might be interesting for those who have to teach TEI and/or XML
> technologies from time to time.
> I always wanted to teach using Open Source products only, but was too
> lazy to invest in emacs, which needs a lot of tweaking to work in a
> multi-language environment. So I used Oxygen on a classroom license. I
> like O a lot, but apart from the (reasonable) costs for the
> institution, it is something of an over-kill for beginners. A more
> light-weight application might actually be better for the classroom. I
> have been trying out a few Open Source solutions over the last two
> years but only recently found one I like: The "XML  Copy Editor"
> developed by Gerald Schmidt.
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/xml-copy-editor/
>
> On request he was happy to include the whole gamut of TEI stuff
> (template, document models, and Sebastian's stylesheets) and now I can
> show the few things I need in class (validation, xslt&xquery
> transforms), quicker (the Copy Editor is not Java based), cheaper and
> simpler then before.

Oh, this explains why I found TEI support *before* I could ask for it ;)
I recently tried this software and suggested some usability improvements
to the author, who seems to be very receptive to user feedback. As soon
as it matures a bit more I'd recommend it for more than didactic tasks.

Ciao

Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dipartimento di Scienze         rosselli at ling.unipi.it
del Linguaggio                  Then spoke the thunder  DA
Universita' di Torino           Datta: what have we given?  (TSE)

   Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
   mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)