Je 02.24 ptm 2006.09.15, Dana NUTTER skribis

>li [Paul Bartlett] mi tulis la
>
> > I can see some good features in
> > Aiola (http://www.aiola.org), but I doubt that it has set the world on
> > fire.
>
>I took a look at Aiola.  Not bad for a euroclone, but I just can't buy
>into any Euroclone as an IAL.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery -- and if languages
had feelings! -- then Esperanto should feel flattered. After a quick
look through its on-line textbook, I get the feeling that Aiola is a
21st-century Ido, but with a lot more bells and whistles, many of
them interesting, few of them necessary, some actually problematic. I
mean, _three_ words for "and"? I suppose that if Ido can have three
forms of the infinitive, Aiola can have three forms of the
conditional (each of which retains the Esperanto -us after the usual
Esperanto/Ido set of tense vowels) ... The "delayed-subject pronoun"?
I won't ask if this is necessary (it appears to be a simple imitation
of the dummy English "it" in such sentences).

A minor problem with the pronunciation. While Aiola appears to have
semivowel equivalens of 'i' and 'u' ('y' and 'w' respectively), it
would appear that 'oi' and 'ai' ("libroi", "bonai") are pronounced as
diphthongs, giving the 'i' the same value as the semivowel 'y' in
this position, rather than its vowel value. This isn't explicitly
stated, however, and it's not clear whether the two words quoted
should be pronounced "LIBR-oy" and "BON-ay" (as in Esperanto) or
"libr-O-i" and "bon-A-i". I'm guessing the former.

-- Don HARLOW