Je 07.21 ptm 2006.09.16, Paul BARTLETT skribis

>On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Donald J. HARLOW wrote:
>
>>If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery -- and if languages
>>had feelings! -- then Esperanto should feel flattered. After a
>>quick look through its on-line textbook, I get the feeling that
>>Aiola is a 21st-century Ido, but with a lot more bells and
>>whistles, many of them interesting, few of them necessary, some
>>actually problematic. I mean, _three_ words for "and"?
>>[...]
>
>I haven't studied Aiola in depth, but as fas as the various bells and
>whistles go, the developers have also been influenced by Loglan, with
>its assorted words and constructs.  So it is not just a mere Esperanto
>takeoff.

This is fairly obvious -- a lot of the "bells and whistles" seem to
be added to make people speak as they _should_ speak rather than as
they _do_ speak, which is pretty typical of _a priori_ languages
based on some philosophical concept. However, the basic grammatical
morphology and a lot of the vocabulary as presented is pure or almost
pure Esperanto, perhaps as filtered through Ido (*) (they even
borrow, much as Ido did, the three active participial suffixes, which
they incorporate synthetically into their compound verb forms -- see
tables 10.2 and 10.3 -- though they, IMHO not very wisely, reduce the
_passive_ suffixes to one and basically allow it only in participail
form). See also the table of numerals, which appear to be copied
almost completely from Esperanto, with modifications to fit the
language's orthography and phonology. ("Star Wars" aficionados,
however, will appreciate the modification of the first person
singular possessive pronoun to "miza", thus arousing fond memories of
JarJar Binks.)

Exception to the above comment about the grammatical morphology is
the infinitive ending in -are, a nice way of avoiding the need to add
a special stress rule such as that in Ido with its -ar ending.
Unfortunately, they squander this supposed regularity of stress
elsewhere, specifically in words in which the penultimate syllable
ends in -i- or -u-.

(*) A _pro forma_ comment which is, however, not likely true, given
that in Lesson 1 they (**) specifically refer to Esperanto as one of
the languages from which they took ideas, along with Interlingua and
Loglan, but do not so refer to Ido.

(**) I have the feeling, though cannot prove it, that the "Aiola
Research Group" is largely a front for a single individual, Richard
W. Stimets, in which case "they" is not the correct pronoun here.

-- Don HARLOW