Je 07.48 atm 2006.09.17, Carl MASAK skribis

Just a couple of comments ...

>It's not that I'm afraid to cause confusion -- I think that any of the
>systems are fairly self-explanatory -- it's just that my aversion of
>the x-system is overshadowed by my unwillingness to silently make a
>point of not using it. I don't often fall victim to group pressure,
>but here's one example when I do, for better or for worse.

However, it's been a long time since I've heard or read, in any
Esperanto venue, actual complaints about the workaround system that
this or that person uses. If you choose to write with Hs, for
instance (which is specifically authorized in the Fundamento de
Esperanto), nobody is going to see that, I think, as trying to make a
point of _not_ using the X; just a personal preference.

(Actually, I've seen people post using three or four different
workarounds in the same paragraph. They did this to make their own
point -- that the intent is easily recognizable, and people pretty
much don't even notice.)

>With Unicode, the issues of representing the daft-hats letters on
>screen and paper largely disappear. Was it worth the long period of
>problems? I guess it depends on how good a thing the sight/sound
>recognizability is. I can argue both ways on that myself.

The introduction of the computer reintroduced the question of special
characters, which had pretty much been laid to rest before (as I have
pointed out here, from my point of view there was no problem before
-- I had a typewriter, which my parents got for me at the Sears,
Roebuck in Sacramento, California, which would produce the special
characters). "Special characters" incidentally means not just
Esperanto's special characters but, for instance, and in the first
two or three years of the home-computer revolution, the lower-case
characters of the English language. Naturally, market forces caused
_that_ problem to be resolved pretty quickly, and you heard few if
any people screaming that 'a' should be removed from the English
language, in favor of 'A', because computers couldn't produce it.

But as you say Unicode has largely resolved whatever issues existed
in the eighties and early nineties. What issues remain have to do
with legacy software or software (like Eudora, which I use) which has
not yet taken advantage of Unicode.

(My own major gripe today has to do with those people who keep
insisting that "the internet cannot handle Esperanto". It is a
temptation to rush out and hire a hit-man to go after the person who
makes this statement to put him out of his misery. The internet can
handle any kind of information; it does not see supersigns, only
sequences of bits. It's only client software -- and, very, very
occasionally, server software -- which has any problems.)

-- Don HARLOW