On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:32 am, Rex May wrote:
> cyevalo, gyardeno, hyaoso, jyurnalo, syipo, ankauy.
>
> For me, except for the last, the spelling seems to suggest the actual
> sounds, somehow.

I see what you mean.  In any case, Esperanto's hatted 'u' is the least
troubling of them all, from an orthographical standpoint.  Even Zamenhof
advised just letting 'u' stand inm for 'u'[hat], and many today use '',
which is even available on my phone.

Your 'y' system suggests that the consonants are palatalized somehow,
which is vaguely correct in some of the cases.  Since one of the main
reasons for using hats in the first place was to retain international
recognizability of certain words, it's an open question whether the 'y's
do that better than the 'h's or 'x's the Nova HelpAlfabeto.

> Anyhow, I've long thought that, phoneme or no, 'c' is one of the more
> annoying elements of the
> language.  I'd replace it with 's' in general, especially when it's
> part of a cluster as in 'funkcii.'  If
> you really want to preserve the sound, as in words like 'caro,' then
> you'd make it 'tsaro.'

'C' really is the ugly stepsister of orthography, isn't it?  I'd like to
learn more about it someday.  Does any language that uses the Roman
alphabet omit it?  I think 'k' is more likely to be omitted, leaving 'c'
with two pronunciations, but I wonder how this came about.

Todd Moody