li [Paul Bartlett] mi tulis la

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Rex May wrote:
>
> > [trim]
>
> > Anyhow, I've long thought that, phoneme or no, 'c' is one
> of the more
> > annoying elements of the language.  I'd replace it with 's' in
> > general, especially when it's part of a cluster as in 'funkcii.' If
> > you really want to preserve the sound, as in words like 'caro,' then
> > you'd make it 'tsaro.'
>
>      As is well known, I am no particular partisan of Esperanto.
> Nevertheless, I have never had any real problem with 'c', even in
> clusters.  'Scii' seems quite easy to me, and even 'funkcii' is not
> impossible.  It all gets back to the old issue of tradeoffs in conIAL
> design.  I very much doubt that anyone will ever design a conIAL
> without somebody sniping at something.  There will never be a pleasing
> of everybody.  Sooner or later one simply has to go with something,
> warts and all.  As somebody or other once said, the perfect is the
> enemy of the good.

You're right about not pleasing everyone, but this particular situation
is one that creates a great difficulty.  Great difficulties are what we
want to avoid in IAL design.  I, for one, can not pronounce "scii".
It comes out more like [s:i?i] when I say it rather than [stsii].  The
worst part is that this is a very common words so it's used often.   I
suppose if I stutter a bit and keep trying, I can get it right
eventually but this is supposed to be an "easy" language so why should I
have to bother?