Carsten Becker wrote at 2006-09-16 10:49:41 (-0400)
 > Sorry for my English ...
 >
 > On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:51:28 -0000, caeruleancentaur
 > <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 >
 > >This bread is mouldy, I urgently need to buy a new one (sic).
 >
 > What's wrong with that? I meant a new loaf of bread. I guess one
 > cannot say it like that in English?

You have to say either "this loaf is mouldy, I need to buy a new one"
or "this bread is mouldy, I need to buy some more".  (English mass
nouns differ in the extent to which they can be used as count nouns
meaning a portion or serving, so for other things, particularly
drinks, the structure you have there might be possible.  But you'd
never call a loaf of bread "a bread", so it doesn't work.)