Den 15. sep. 2006 kl. 06.01 skrev Henrik Theiling:

> It is the first time this is posted.

Thanks, I'll try this one, too.

>> 1.  apples

Urianian: epli
Gaajan: arau
It's funny that ara also means 'no, not', as if apples were the
forbidden fruit. But I have an unrelated word for apple tree, kala,
so I am thinking of giving the apple an alternative name, kalaku,
with a relational suffix, and plural kalakuwe.

>> 2.  bread

U: glíf (the aigu marks a long vowel)
G: hugu (loaf: oki)

>> 3.  bus/train/... ticket

U: buspillet, tokpillet (all loan words)
G: N/A (Gaajan is a bronze age language in my conworld)

>> 4.  butter

U: silub
G: usji (or 'ushi' in the usual English convention)

>> 5.  cheese

U: dégul
G: sulana

>> 6.  cream

U: bimi
G: lasa

>> 7.  ink

U: zurud (also blek is borrowed)
G: N/A

>> 8.  jam/marmelade

U: gambi/marmladi
G: jima (sweets in general)/N.A.

>> 9.  milk

U: kulek
G: rana (or esma)

>> 10. noodles/pasta

U: nudli/pasta
G: N.A.

>> 11. salad

U: salat
G: N.A.

>> 12. sausage (of which you put slices on your bread)

U: ketut (sausage in general)
G: N.A. (but it is tempting to construct herkal 'gut meat' -
otherwise sikua is dried meat)

>> 13. soap

U: maz
G: N.A. (but simo is 'grease')

>> 14. stamps

U: zindilmini or zindilmi
G: N.A.

>> 15. toilet paper

U: larsilpapir
G: N.A. (but juwe is 'leaf')

>> Some sentences:
>>
>> 1.  I like to eat an apple at the end of my lunch break.

U: Mi sem egan epla dabu ma leclilsia.
(Lit.: Me it pleases eating apple end-loc my lunchbreak-gen.) Here we
could use the instrumental dabi as well, meaning during the end
instead of at the end. Leclils is a compound of the loan-word lenc
(lunch), and lils, 'break, rest, pause'. I am presuming that it will
lose the n in the compounding (and that this will not change the
vowel). Urianian does not have either the [S] nor the [tS] phonemes,
so I am further presuming that they will replace it with the
voiceless fricative we were discussing here the other day (the one
the Norwegians are allegedly losing), for which I don't know the
phonetic symbol, but which the Urianians write as a c.

G: Ari at karaku sanen gaistalananin ij atla.
Enjoy I-do-to-it apple end(san)-at-time(-en) mid-day-meal(gaist)-rest
(alana)-my(ni)-of(-n) eat I-do-to-it(at)-that(-la).
I am using karaku instead of ara here, otherwise the sentence would
(alternatively) read: I like to avoid eating at the end of my lunch
break. Not fatally harmful perhaps, but a little awkward. However
such little ambiguities do exist in a lot of natural languages. (My
conlangs are make-believe natlangs, I'm not trying to create a
perfect language or anything of the sort.)

Phew, I think I must do the rest later. Must work some. But I've got
many new words now, so thanks.

LEF

.....home pages www.ortygia.no.....