Je 02.46 ptm 2006.10.07, Dana NUTTER skribis
>li [Jens Wilkinson] mi tulis la
> > --- Kjell Rehnström <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > > Why not something like Capricorn 20/12 - 20/1,
> > > Pisces (?) 21/1-20/2 etc.
> > > They could be translated into all languages and
> > > perhaps even gaged to the
> > > Chinese names.
> > >
> > > Kjell R
> >
> > I like that idea too. The only problem, as I wrote
> > earlier, is the "precession of the equinox." Every 72
> > years, the place where the sun is at any time during
> > the year drifts by 1%. So after a period of about 2000
> > years, I think, the sun is in a new constellation on
> > any given date. Perhaps it doesn't really matter all
> > that much, since using the constellations would just
> > be an easy way to remember the order.
>
>This brings up a bigger question.  What happens if/when mankind ventures
>beyond Earth and starts inhabits another planet with different cycles?

You don't even have to go very far for this. The
Uranian system, for some reason, rotates/revolves
at around 90 degrees to the plane of the
ecliptic, and presumably its zodiac is quite different from ours.

Of course, even in a system with (more or less)
the same zodiac, for instance that of Jupiter,
the whole meaning of "month" and "week" are
likely to change. Months named for the signs of
the zodiac in the Jovian system would be around
a(n earth) year long. On the other hand,
colonists on Ganymede, for instance, would have
to have some new kind of unit based on the period
of revolution around Jupiter, which is a few days
long; that would be the equivalent of their "month".

It's an interesting, though not particularly urgent, question.

-- Don HARLOW